Have you ever wished to get more out of your life, or felt that your life could be a whole lot better? Have you thought about what your ideal life would look like?
We create what we imagine; we become who we aspire to be.
Here are 5 steps to start envisioning and create your ideal life and getting clear with what you really want.
1. Imagine your ideal life 10 years from today
Start by thinking about what kind of person you want to be in 10 years, and the type of lifestyle you want to live.
2. Write out that dream life into words
Write them out into sentences in paragraph form. The key is to write everything out in PRESENT tense, as if you are living the life RIGHT NOW. Write them out as detailed as possible. Take all the time you need for this, it’s really important to know what is it that you truly desire. Here are some questions to guide you along:
In 10 years…. (answer in present tense)
- What kind of person are you?
- What are some key traits that define you?
- What is important to you? What are your values?
- What kind of people are around you? Who do you interact with the most?
- What kind of person do other people see you as?
- What do you do for fun? Where do you hang out?
- What hobbies do you have?
- What type of job are you doing? What is your work environment like?
- Where are you living? What is your living environment like?
- Are you living by yourself or with someone else? Do you have a pet?
3. Write out a typical day of your ideal life
Again, write it out in present tense, from waking up to going to bed.
4. Place the paper somewhere you can see every day
I pasted mine on my bedroom mirror, and also wrote it out again in my bullet journal.
5. Read it out loud to yourself every day
Take the time after waking up every morning/ or before bed every night to read out the paragraph to yourself. You are reading it as if you ARE that person and living your ideal life RIGHT NOW. Really make this exercise into a daily mantra for yourself.
You cannot really strive to be your best self, if you are not clear with what you truly desire. At first, that life may feel very unreal to you. Your ideal self may seem like a completely different person. But I promise you that over time, as you re-read who you really are over and over again, those words will be engraved in you. Because we all have the ability to be our best selves in this world. It may not happen over night, but it WILL happen. You just have to be patient.
The first step is to envision your dream life and know what you want. Then you can start planning and take actionable steps toward that life.
> More resources on life planning:
Start creating a dream life vision today with free vision planning workbook: